License Mode is a gameplay mode that is present from the first Gran Turismo game. The license mode is, in real life, the beginning of any pilot. In total there are 7 series of classes of licenses:
- (B) Beginner (in all games)
- (A) Advanced (in all games)
- (IC) International Class C (GT2 and GT5)
- (IB) International Beginner (GT2, GT3, GT4, GT5 and GT6)
- (IA) International Advanced (in all games)
- (S) Super license (GT2, GT3, GT4, GT5 and GT6)
- (R) Rally license (only on Gran Turismo 3: A-Spec)
Each game has a different number of tests to complete a license:
- 8 tests per license in Gran Turismo
- 10 tests per license in Gran Turismo 2
- 8 tests per license in Gran Turismo 3: A-Spec
- 16 tests (excluding coffee breaks but including graduation tests) per license in Gran Turismo 4
- 10 tests per license in Gran Turismo 5
- 5 tests per license in Gran Turismo 6
Trophies are awarded for each test depending on your finishing time. They can be gold, silver and bronze. In all games (except GT1, GT2 and GT3), you get a car if you complete a license, and faster cars for completing to silver and then gold standard (in GT1, GT2 and GT3, a prize car is awarded on Gold completion of each license only). If you fail to perform the given task in time to achieve a Bronze trophy, running over the cones (if a task instructs that you cannot hit traffic cones), drive off course or collide with a wall or opponent, you fail the test and have to take it again.
Licenses and tests are detailed in their releveant main articles.
- Gran Turismo Licenses - details of licenses and tests in Gran Turismo,
- GT2 Licenses - licenses and tests in Gran Turismo 2,
- GT3 Licenses - licenses and tests in Gran Turismo 3: A-Spec,
- GT4 Licenses - licenses, tests and coffee breaks in Gran Turismo 4,
- GT5 Licenses - licenses and tests in Gran Turismo 5.