Since Gran Turismo 2 comes in two discs, Arcade Mode of this game can be accessed only in disc 1.
These game modes are available in Arcade Mode
- Single Race
- 2 Player Battle
- Bonus Items
- Load Guest Garage
Single Race is a game mode for one player. It is divided into Road Race, Rally, and Time Trial.
In Road Race, the player can choose a car and a track to race against 5 AI cars of the same class. Once Road Race is selected and a level (Easy/Normal/Difficult) is chosen, the player is presented with a selection of cars. At first, only the A, B, and C-Class cars are available, in addition to the player cars in Simulation Mode. Other cars can be unlocked, by winning races in Arcade Mode at normal level or higher. A full list of these cars can be found at the bottom of this page. Once the car is selected, the player must choose a track. At the start, only three tracks (Tahiti Road, Mid-Field Raceway, and High Speed Ring) are available to the player, and new circuits becomes available once the player acquires licenses in Simulation Mode. Reverse versions of the tracks can be unlocked by winning races in arcade mode at difficult level. Once the track is selected, the starting grid will be shown, and the race will start.
In Rally, the player can choose rally cars for time trials on rally circuits. At the start, thirteen rally cars are available to the players, alongside their own cars with dirt tyres in simulation mode and more rally cars can be unlocked by winning races in arcade mode at normal level or higher. Once the rally car is selected, the player must choose a rally circuit. At the start, only Tahiti Dirt Route 3 can be chosen, and other rally circuits can be unlocked by obtaining licenses in simulation mode.
Time trial is similar to Rally, but with tracks of Road Race mode instead of the rally circuits. All cars selectable in Road Race can be selected in this game mode.
2 Player BattleEdit
2 Player Battle is a game mode that allows two human player to race together. This game mode is divided in Road Race and Rally, but the differences are only the cars and tracks selectable.
Also note that 2 Player Rallies are not raced like time trials but instead raced like a road race.
In Bonus Items, the player can check its unlocked contents, in a form of a list of all the circuits available. Depending on the level in which the player wins a race in arcade mode, the black square of a circuit can become white if he/she wins at easy level , white with a check if he/she wins at normal level, and white with a circle if he/she wins at difficult level. There are two endings that can be accessed here, one that can be accessed by winning races on all the circuits in Arcade Mode, and another ending accessible by winning the Gran Turismo World League, known respectively as Arcade Mode ending and Simulation Mode ending. In the PAL version, only one ending can be accessed (the Simulation Mode ending), while in the NTSC version both endings can be accessed.
Load Guest GarageEdit
Here the player can load another simulation mode garage in order to use it in arcade mode.
Cars available from the startEdit
Here is a list of cars available from the start in Arcade Mode.
- Chevrolet Corvette Coupe (C4) '96
- Ford Mustang SVT Cobra '99
- Lotus Elise Sport 190 '98
- Mazda RX-7 Type RS (FD) '98
- Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VI GSR '99
- Nissan SKYLINE GT-R V • spec (R34) '99
- Subaru LEGACY B4 RSK '98
- Tommy Kaira ZZ-S '00
- Alfa Romeo 156 2.5 V6 24V '98
- Audi TT Coupe 1.8T quattro '00
- BMW 328i
- Fiat Coupe 2.0 20V Turbo
- Honda S2000 '99
- Lancia DELTA HF Integrale
- Mercedes-Benz CLK 320 Sports
- Plymouth PT Spyder
- Toyota ALTEZZA RS200 '98
- Citroën Xsara 1.8i 16V Exclusive
- Daihatsu Move Custom Aero Down '98
- Mercury Cougar '99
- MGF 1.8i VVC '95
- Opel Tigra 1.6i '99
- Peugeot 206 S16 '99
- MINI COOPER 1.3i '98
- Suzuki ALTO WORKS RS-Z '98
- Volkswagen Golf IV GTI
- Toyota COROLLA Rally Car '98
- Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution V Rally Car '98
- Subaru IMPREZA Rally Car '99
- Ford Focus Rally Car '99
- Peugeot 206 Rally Car '99
- Toyota CELICA GT-FOUR Rally Car (ST185) '95
- Nissan Pulsar GTi-R Rally Car
- Mazda Familia Rally Car
- Subaru IMPREZA Rally Car '96
- Citroën Saxo Rally Car
- Lancia DELTA HF Integrale Rally Car '92
- Opel Tigra Ice Race Car
- Renault Megane Rally Car
Here is a list of unlockable cars in Arcade Mode. Note that these cars can be unlocked only by winning races in arcade mode at normal level or higher.
- Aston Martin V8 Vantage '99
- Dodge VIPER GTS '99
- Jaguar XKR Coupe '99
- Lister Storm V12 '94
- Clio Renault Sport V6 24V '00
- RUF CTR2 '96
- Shelby Cobra Daytona Coupe '64
- TVR Tuscan Speed 6 '00
- Vector M12
- Venturi Atlantique 400 GT
- Toyota CELICA GT-FOUR Rally Car (ST165) '90
- Toyota CELICA GT-FOUR Rally Car (ST205) '95
- Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution III Rally Car '96
- Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IV Rally Car '97
- Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VI Rally Car '99
- Daihatsu STORIA X4 Rally Car
- Ford Escort Rally Car '98
- Lancia STRATOS Rally Car '77
- Peugeot 306 Rally Car
- Rover Mini Cooper 1275S Mark 1
- Volkswagen Golf Rally Car